Pre-departure

Welcome to my blog! I am leaving for Barcelona, Spain on Monday for my International Student Teaching! In Barcelona, I will be at St. Paul’s Catholic School in fifth grade. I am looking forward to learning about the students, the school, and the culture. I anticipate the school to be very different from the schools in America. According to my research on St. John’s, the students go to the same school from the time they are 3 years old until they go off to college. The school also has four buildings; all have classrooms, and some contain indoor gyms. The school also has multiple soccer fields and gardens. It appears that teaching languages is very important to this school as well. They teach a large part of their curriculum in English. Additionally, the school has cultural trips and ski trips built in (how cool is that?!). Comparing the two educational systems is what I am most excited about. I am looking forward to learning and being immersed in their culture!

In the meantime, I am frantically making lists and trying to pack all my belongings. I am making it a goal of mine not to over pack like I always do. The weather seems to be similar to Kentucky, in the mid-60's. I think the biggest adjustment for me will be the meals. I am used to having a big breakfast and dinner, which is the complete opposite of how they do it in Spain. The times of the meals will also be an adjustment for me (they don't eat dinner until about 9:30-10!!). However, I am looking forward to trying new foods! Although I am very excited, I am also still waiting for it to sink in that I will be in a different country in a few short days! I know I will learn a lot from this experience and I can't wait to share this journey with all of you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week One- First Impressions

Week 3: Overall Experience